Wednesday, February 13, 2008

All Families are Psychotic

I believe Douglas Copland said it best when he wrote All Families Are Psychotic.

I found out that my Granddad was not feeling well and had returned to the hospital after a mini stroke (an oxymoron?).
I jumped in my car and 8 hours later was in Dallas.

When I got here I realized that real people live in soap operas.

Over the last two weeks that I have been here in Fort Worth, I have learned several important, life changing things:

1. Everyone has an opinion about how their sick Granddad should be treated
2. Every sick person needs a quarterback
3. Consensus relieves stress yet impossible to accomplish
4. Bringing people together at the same time is as difficult as launching a space shuttle
5. Guessing how much time someone has to live is a horrible way to spend time
6. Conspiracy remains a theory until proven factual
7. Granddaughters make vicious watch dogs

3 comments:

North Star Seafood said...

8. Granddaughters named "Tiffany Tompkins" are the best kind of granddaughters!

Unknown said...

You are so right..are we related? I hope your Grandad is doing better.

As I was reading your list I couldn't help thinking about how when I reach that place of vulnerablility in my life, I hope I have a quarterback too.

Not only are you a champion for your family, but you are also rallying us to consider how we affect others in a positive or negative way in the choices we make...even if we don't know how or who. You remind us that the "who" are real people...and those real people are lucky to have Grandad's vicious granddaughter on their side.

Mary Walker said...

I have enjoyed reading your blog, enough even to figure out how to use it! We old people don't take as easily to techy stuff. Anyway, I wanted you to know how proud we all are of your business, as well as you as a person. Your grandfather is lucky to have you looking out after him. I told your cousin you could handle anything! Don't you have a friend-like-you we could introduce to him? I hope the wine business is going well. I can't wait to introduce my friends here to your product. It IS a great wine and a great help to the growers too. Keep in touch. The English teacher in me has already decided you need to write a book someday... you are good. Mary Walker